c[ode]clap»Forums
44 posts
VIM to CodeClap
Edited by joe513 on Reason: Initial post
With the release of version 0.6 I took advantage of the additional command line arguments and added a few shortcuts to VIM. Now with a single key press from within VIM I can start debugging. F4 will start CodeClap and run to the same cursor position in VIM and F5 will break at main().

Pressing F4 from within VIM

Instantly launches CodeClap and breaks at the same place

There are a million ways to do this with VIM/Bash but wanted to share in case it is useful for anyone.

Add to existing vimrc file
nnoremap <F4> :call CodeClapRunToCursor()<CR>
function! CodeClapRunToCursor()
   :call system('./codeClapDebug.bash ' . expand('%:t') . ' ' . line("."))
endfunction

nnoremap <F5> :call CodeClapRunToMain()<CR>
function! CodeClapRunToMain()
   :call system('./codeClapDebug.bash')
endfunction

codeClapDebug.bash file
#!/bin/bash

fileName=$1
lineNum=$2

#configuration
executable=~/dev/projects/engine2d/build/a.out
workingDir=~/dev/projects/engine2d/build
codeClap=~/dev/codeclap/codeclap

if [ $# == 2 ];
then
    $codeClap --chdir $workingDir $executable $fileName:$lineNum
else
    $codeClap --chdir $workingDir $executable
fi

64 posts
None
VIM to CodeClap
Very very nice :D
Thanks for sharing !

spx
148 posts / 1 project
VIM to CodeClap
This is really cool, well done!

I probably have to make the argument parsing part of the soon-to-be customization layer as well so that people can get even more creative with different startup behavior.
64 posts
None
VIM to CodeClap
Here is the compulsory emacsian equivalent :

(defun codeClapRunToCursor ()
  (interactive)
  (compile (format "./codeClapDebug.sh %s %s" (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name) (line-number-at-pos)))
  )
(global-set-key [f8] 'codeClapRunToCursor)

(defun codeClapRunToMain ()
  (interactive)
  (compile "./codeClapDebug.sh")
  )
(global-set-key [C-f8] 'codeClapRunToMain)
44 posts
VIM to CodeClap
Nice, thanks for adding it! Its getting harder to justify my printf() debugging now :)
64 posts
None
VIM to CodeClap
After two weeks of usage, I have to say can't do without. And run to cursor is really awesome. Can't wait for even more possibilities :D

It already replaced gdb and printf for most tasks.
spx
148 posts / 1 project
VIM to CodeClap
albatros
After two weeks of usage, I have to say can't do without. And run to cursor is really awesome. Can't wait for even more possibilities :D

It already replaced gdb and printf for most tasks.

That is something I really like to hear :). The next update is right around the corner but it took/will take me a few additional days because of time constraints. I will then also write a bit about my immediate plans for 0.8-1.0.
Björn Strömberg
2 posts
VIM to CodeClap
I tried to do this on 0.6.0 on windows 7, just calling the codeClap.exe but I can only get the program to start with an empty configuration.
I tried to pass it the arguments by hand but got same result.

@echo off

SET fileName=%1
SET lineNum=%2

SET executable="%~dp0..\build\win32_game.exe"
SET workingDir="%~dp0..\build\"
SET codeclap="w:\misc\lib\codeclap\codeclap.exe"

if "%~1" == "" (
    %codeclap% --chdir %workingDir% %executable% %fileName%:%lineNum%
) else (
    %codeclap% --chdir %workingDir% %executable%
)

Is it just a bug or am I missing something obvious?

Also, if this is not the place for this kind of post please tell me and I'll send an e-mail instead ^_^
44 posts
VIM to CodeClap
Edited by joe513 on
bjeeeern
I tried to do this on 0.6.0 on windows 7, just calling the codeClap.exe but I can only get the program to start with an empty configuration.

Is there a space anywhere in the file path for the build directory? If so I think there is an issue with spaces on Windows that is supposed to be fixed in the next release.

Can you share the full command that you are using in the terminal?

Edit: Might also try using the full path names instead of relative paths, seems like I had issues with that in the past but I have not tried in the latest release.

spx
148 posts / 1 project
VIM to CodeClap
bjeeeern

Is it just a bug or am I missing something obvious?

Also, if this is not the place for this kind of post please tell me and I'll send an e-mail instead ^_^

I think the forums are quite good for communicating and exchanging information because everyone can profit from this. But if you value private communication you can also mail me using [email protected]

Best you try it with the now available 0.7.2. I tried it with that build and everything should work just fine. Just make sure to wrap the parameters in "" if they contain any spaces.
Björn Strömberg
2 posts
VIM to CodeClap
I am on 0.7.2 now but still does not seem to work.

I'll post some variations of the command I put in the terminal and the resulting program screen I get.

"W:\misc\lib\codeclap\codeclap.exe" --chdir "W:\handmade\build\" "W:\handmade\build\handmade.exe" handmade.cpp:1227
"W:\misc\lib\codeclap\codeclap.exe" --chdir "W:\handmade\build\" "W:\handmade\build\handmade.exe" W:\handmade\code\handmade.cpp:1227
"W:\misc\lib\codeclap\codeclap.exe" --chdir "W:\handmade\build\" "W:\handmade\build\handmade.exe" "W:\handmade\code\handmade.cpp":1227

"C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\misc\lib\codeclap\codeclap.exe" --chdir "C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\handmade\build\""C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\handmade\build\handmade.exe" handmade.cpp:1227 
"C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\misc\lib\codeclap\codeclap.exe" --chdir "C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\handmade\build\" "C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\handmade\build\handmade.exe" C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\handmade\handmade.cpp:1227
"C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\misc\lib\codeclap\codeclap.exe" --chdir "C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\handmade\build\" "C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\handmade\build\handmade.exe" "C:\Users\kuma\Desktop\enviroment\handmade\handmade.cpp":1227

All gives the same default screen:

spx
148 posts / 1 project
VIM to CodeClap
bjeeeern
I am on 0.7.2 now but still does not seem to work.
I'll post some variations of the command I put in the terminal and the resulting program screen I get.

That's still a bit of a puzzler. At this point I suspect that it may not be caused by the argument parsing but maybe some problem during startup. If for example the .exe does not exist the behavior is as described and the normal window opens. I will add a few hints and more output capabilities to analyze this behavior further.

Have you tried just dragging the same exe on the configuration window and starting it from there?